Thursday, May 8, 2014

A few short pieces of music...

From time to time, I like to play around with a music score editor, bashing out some "music" if you can call it that ;)  Here are some recent efforts that I'm reasonably happy about...

1) I got this idea while mulling over pentatonic scales again this morning for some random reason...


2) Inspired by some noises a dripping pipe in the laundry room made one afternoon. I had originally intended for this to be played using some kind of glass-bottle percussion instrument sound instead...


3) Short song I played around with after reading a blog post about pentatonic scales one day, and feeling inspired to have a play around.




Although I have been through "formal" western music training somewhat, I never really "got" composing in that style. Full-blow 4-part harmonies and chord progressions?! Blegh... Boring!!!  Layering is more fun, Tchaikovsky-style sequences easy + fun + funky sounding, and Thomas Newman style atmospherics awesome (I've yet to really figure out how to do those though) ;)

I've decided to try and stick these on Soundcloud as a bit of a test of their service. So far though, I'm not terribly impressed: For starters, their site froze mid-upload (actually it was more like, when everything was uploaded and 99% processed), losing my first attempts at uploading some content. The auto-progression to the next track is also a bit of a pain (though I can see why it might be nice in some cases when you've actually got a playlist), especially since there doesn't seem to be any way to reorder the tracks so that even if they do autoplay, it won't be so jarring. All in all, it's a pretty miserable service!

No comments:

Post a Comment